Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Traditional Greek cake - Karithopeta.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3⁄4 sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- For syrup, bring all ingredients to a boil in saucepan.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- For cake, cream butter, orange peel, and sugar together until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold flour mixture into butter mixture, alternating with milk.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until done.
- Remove cake from oven, cool, and cut into diamonds while in the pan.
- Pour syrup over cake.
- Refrigerate and let soak 24 hours before serving.