Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Serve this lovely sponge cake for church dinners, reunions and other occasions. Tried and true recipe for 40 years.
- 9 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon colored. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon and salt; add to batter and beat until smooth.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Fold in walnuts.
- Spoon into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan (pan will be full). Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around side of cake and remove from pan. In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency; drizzle over cake. Yield: 10-12 servings.