Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Walnut Crusted Halibut with Honey Soy Sauce. The Cutting Horse Restaurant recipe provided courtesy of Chef Joey Kistler.
- 1 1⁄2 cups california walnuts, toasted
- 4 -6 ounces alaskan halibut fillets
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, light
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups clover honey
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Stir a pinch of salt and pepper into the flour and reserve in a shallow dish.
- Whish together the honey and soy sauce and reserve.
- Dip the halibut filets in the flour, coating thoroughly and shaking gently to remove any excess. Next dip them in the egg wash, draining off any excess, and immediately roll in the walnuts to coat. Reserve for 5 minutes to allow the coating to “set.”.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan large enough to hold the filets and add the fish. Cook on one side until golden brown, flip carefully and finish in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Arrange on a plate and drizzle with the reserved sauce.
I can't believe no one has tried this. My dad sent me fish from Alaska and I haven't cooked alot of fish so I took out a halibut filet and it's just me in my house so I ended up not getting a chance to cook it for a couple days and really needed a good receipe for it, so I resorted to food.com of course. I just happened to have everything for this recipe. Since I only had one fillet I just guessed on the measurements. I am gluten intolerant so I changed a couple of the ingredients. I used corn flour instead and I used amino acids for soy sauce (tastes the same but gf, and is waaaaay better for you). I added some syrup to the sauce mixture with the honey and soy sauce, just for a little more flavor. I also added some lemon pepper to the flour mixture. I toasted the almonds and follwed the rest of the recipe to a "T". The flavor was incredible. So d%$# good. I'm gonna put the rest of the fillet in a salad tomorrow for lunch, should be great.