Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Growing up, this is the meal I always begged my grandmother to make!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 16 cherry tomatoes
For the dressing
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Brush buttermilk over chicken.
- Combine walnuts, breadcrumbs and salt, and dredge chicken in this mixture.
- Pour oil into a large skillet and place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken and cook 3 minutes on each side.
- Cool and cut crosswise.
- Combine greens, tomatoes and cheese. Top with slices of chicken.
- Serve with the Buttermilk Honey Dressing.
The chicken was very good, but we did not like the dressing. The taste of the honey was way too overbearing for us. Thanks for the recipe.
I love the flavors in this salad. The dressing is a little thin, but what it lacked in thickness, it sure made up in flavor!!! My heat was too high at first, so my first breast was a bit dark on the outside, but I lowered the heat and the rest were beautiful. I just love the walnut crust! This is a fabulous recipe!
Took this along to an outdoor function and it was a major success. I didn't have buttermilk on hand but made my own with milk and lemonjuice which didn't affect the recipe at all. I cut my chicken breasts into strips and breaded the strips with 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup pecans as this is what I had in my pantry. I cooked the chicken strips in the oven the night before and the flavour of the nuts was just heavenly. This is an unforgettable salad and so quick to put together. Thanks AmandaInOZ.