Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A.1. Original Sauce Recipe Contest Entry. Who knew that blending flavorful A.1. with cherries would make an excellent sauce! The best thing…once it sits in the refrigerator it turns into a jam so it can used as such or add in water or stock to reconstitute it to a sauce again.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon smokehouse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons sage leaves
- 4 skin-on boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cherries or 1⁄2 cup frozen cherries
- 4 tablespoons white table sugar
- 4 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- 3 teaspoons agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons fig jelly
- 3 teaspoons jalapeno jelly
- 4 mint sprigs (to garnish)
- Bring a propane grill to 450 degrees.
- Add the first seven ingredients to a food processor and pulsate until walnuts are coarse. Rub oil and the seasoning blend on all sides of the chicken including under the skin. Lower the heat of the grill to 425 and grill the chicken until an internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached or until juices run clear. Remove and cover to keep warm.
- While the chicken cooks, cover cherries in water and boil for 8 minutes. Strain the cherries, reserving half of the water plus 3 tablespoons of the cherry water. If the cherries have pits remove them now. Add the cherries and the water back to the pan, reserving the 3 tablespoons of cherry water for later. Add the sugar, A.1., mustard, agave, fig jelly, and jalapeno jelly to the cherries and bring to a rapid boil for 5 minutes. To the same food processor used prior, add the reserved cherry water and the cherry mixture. Pulsate until well blended.
- Pour the cherry sauce over the chicken, top with a mint sprig and serve.
- Note: The chicken and sauce pair well with mashed potatoes, quinoa or a kale salad.
who would have thunk.....wow, this came out great!
Cherry sauce is the best!