Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Discovered this cake years ago in the Joy of cheese cake cook book. This is unusual in that it contains cream cheese, but is not a cheese cake. the moist texture the cream cheese adds combined with the marvelous flavour of the nuts makes this a remarkable cake. Don't serve this cake chilled as it so much softer and moist at room temperature
For Dusting pan
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup medium chopped walnuts
- Butter a 2 Quart Bundt or Kugelhopf pan and dust with finely chopped walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter while adding the cream cheese, lemon rind, and sugar.
- Beat until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorperated.
- The batter may appear slightly curdled, but that's normal for this batter so don't worry about it.
- Graduall add the dry mixture to the batter, then stir in the Medium chopped Walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack and serve at room temperature.
Nice flavor which we enjoyed. More on the order of a coffeecake than a rich dessert. Bakes up high (mine was done in 1 hr 10 min) and moist. Caution anyone who tries this to check their beaters-- mine seemed to trap a good deal of the lemon zest which I then had to re-add to the batter but glad I did because it does add a lovely subtle flavor. Thanks for posting !