Recipe by seahorse73
Got this out of local paper! Too late for me to make for holidays, but will be on my list for next year!!!!
For the Cookies
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup walnuts (ground to a fine flour)
- cocoa powder, for dusting
For the Ganache
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add vanilla, lemon zest, flour and ground walnuts.
- Mix on medium speed, until just combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and flatten it to a round disk.
- Wrap it loosely in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll the chilled dough into a large rectangle, 1/4" thick.
- Cut into 2x2" squares onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake until light brown around the edges 10 to 14 minutes.
- Cool, then dust with cocoa powder.
- While the cookies cool, bring the heavy cream to a boil in a pot over high heat.
- Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl, and when the cream comes to a boil, pour it over the chocolate.
- Stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Cool chocolate mixture until slightly thickened.
- Using a pastry bag, fill the bag with ganache, pipe a small circle on top of one cookie, and top with another to create a sandwich.