Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
Got this out of local paper! Too late for me to make for holidays, but will be on my list for next year!!!!
For the Cookies
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup walnuts (ground to a fine flour)
- cocoa powder, for dusting
For the Ganache
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add vanilla, lemon zest, flour and ground walnuts.
- Mix on medium speed, until just combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and flatten it to a round disk.
- Wrap it loosely in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll the chilled dough into a large rectangle, 1/4" thick.
- Cut into 2x2" squares onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake until light brown around the edges 10 to 14 minutes.
- Cool, then dust with cocoa powder.
- While the cookies cool, bring the heavy cream to a boil in a pot over high heat.
- Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl, and when the cream comes to a boil, pour it over the chocolate.
- Stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Cool chocolate mixture until slightly thickened.
- Using a pastry bag, fill the bag with ganache, pipe a small circle on top of one cookie, and top with another to create a sandwich.