Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
If desired melt chocolate chips in the microwave then drizzle on top of the cooled bars. Yield is only estimated depending on the size you cut the bars, chopped pecans can be used in place of walnuts. This is not a sweet bar, you can increase the brown sugar slightly for a sweeter taste, for a thicker bar bake in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish and adjust baking time.
- Set oven to 350° (oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a processor (I use my small processor for this) place the flour and sugar, process for a couple of seconds.
- Add in cold butter and vanilla; process until fine crumbs form (about 10 seconds or just until the mixture holds together).
- Press the mixture into bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake 350° (second-lowest oven rack) for about 12-15 minutes or until the edges are just golden brown.
- Meanwhile in a bowl whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup, 2 teaspoons vanilla, pinch salt and eggs until well blended.
- Mix in chopped walnuts.
- Pour over the crust.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until set (these bars do not bake out high so watch closely they bake quickly!).
- Cool for about 1 hour or more before slicing.
- At this point you can drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
- Slice into bar shapes.