Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delightful chicken dish with a light and fresh lime sauce.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper chicken.
- Beat 2 egg whites.
- Dip chicken into egg whites, allow excess to drip off, then roll in walnuts. Place in a buttered baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, melt butter and stir in flour.
- Add chicken broth, salt, and white pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and begins to thicken.
- Beat egg yolks together with whole eggs. Stir the hot sauce into the eggs, stirring quickly.
- Return sauce to pan and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add grated lime peel and lime juice. Stir until well blended.
- To serve, top cooked chicken with lime sauce.
The chicken is delicious by itself! The sauce is a hollandaise sauce with a bit of lime flair. I used pecans instead of walnuts...much easier to find these locally where I live. I didn't serve the sauce over one piece of chicken, so I can slice it and serve over a salad tomorrow for lunch. Great recipe....easy to make and it goes together easily since you make the sauce while the chicken is cooking. Just make sure your eye is cooled down before placing the egg mixture back on the stove....otherwise you'll have a fried egg on the bottom of your sauce....whisk, whisk, whisk! Thanks for sharing!
this was out of this world!! we all loved this chicken dish, and the sauce is to die for! the only changes i made were to cut the chicken into thin strips, so i doubled the walnuts (which i seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder). as for the sauce, i skipped out on the eggs for dh's sake and i just added some heavy cream in at the end instead. i also doubled the zest and juice per other reviews. this was insanely delicious! we will make this often!!
A wonderfully delicious chicken dish. I wasn't sure if this would re-heat well, so I scaled the dish down to two serves and - since we love citrusy flavours - proportionally increased the quantity of lime zest and lime juice. We SO enjoyed this dish - loved the walnuts - with creamy mashed potatoes and steamed spinach with pine nuts. I look forward to enjoying this again when serving it to guests - the sooner the better! Thanks for sharing this recipe, loof. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.