Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an awesome treat and makes great gifts for the holidays. To cut costs just use peanuts for peanut brittle. Just remember to use your thermometer! Calories: 125 fat 5 protein 1 carb 20
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a pan with parchment paper and coat lighty with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, water and butter into sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook for 20-40 minutes until candy thermometer reaches 275.
- Stir in walnuts and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often, till thermometer reaches 295.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Color should be a light amber and frothy.
- Quickly pour mixture onto prepared pan and spread to desired thickness.
- Cool completely for 30-60 minutes and then break with wooden spoon into small pieces.