Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I cut this out of our local paper because it sounded SO good. I'm going to make it for this year's Valentine's treat, so I'm breaking my own rule and posting it before trying it! (time to make is a guess) Edited to say I did make it for Valentine's Day, and it's every bit as good as it sounds. Definitely worth the effort!
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (divided)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs bosc pears, cored, peeled and cut into 1/4 in. slices (about 4 large or 6 small)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt: whisk about 10 times until well mixed.
- With electric mixer, cream the 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar. Add egg yolks and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients in 3 or 4 batches, alternating with milk and ending with dry ingredients. Stir well and fold in nuts and vanilla.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites with mixer until they form stiff peaks. Fold whites into batter until just mixed.
- Spread batter in pan. Bake on center rack about 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Turn out onto wire rack to cool right side up.
- For pears- melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, till just softened, about 5 to 10 minutes,. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the nutmeg and lemon juice, and stir to combine. Cover to keep warm.
- To make cream - Using electric mixer on medium high speed, whip cream and 1 tablespoon sugar in medium bowl until cream is thick but not dry.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and continue whipping until cream is of desired consistency.
- Serve cake topped with pears and cream.
- Note: The cake can be baked one day ahead and kept at room temperature covered entirely in plastic wrap.
- The pears can be made up to two days ahead, cooled and refrigerated, covered, then reheated in a pan over low heat just before serving.
- Whip the cream just before serving.