Walnut Cake With Honey Cream
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease, flour and line (only line base) a 24cm springform pan.
- Place walnuts in the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely chopped but not nearing a powder.
- Use an electric beater to beat egg yolks, half the sugar and 2 tbs of the honey in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the walnut and use a metal spoon to gently fold until just combined.
- Use clean electric beaters (or hand held egg beater) to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Whisk in remaining sugar.
- Add one-quarter of egg-white mixture to walnut mixture and fold until combined. Add the remaining egg-white mixture and fold until combined. Spoon into pan and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until springy to the touch. Remove from oven. Set aside in pan for 15 minutes to cool. NB: Do not be alarmed if the middle sinks like a crater, this cake has a tendency to do this and it doesn’t matter.
- Run a round bladed knife around the edge of the cake to loosen. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use a balloon whisk (or hand held egg whisk) to whisk together cream and remaining honey (1 tbs) in a bowl until soft peaks form. Dust cake with icing sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with honey cream.