Recipe by Outta Here
A greek cake popular during Lent. Full of raisins and nuts. You can use all one kind raisin if desired.
Top Review by katew
This was a moist, dense and delicious cake. I blitzed up my fruit to make cake easier to cut as sometimes bigger fruit can cause the cake to tear. I upped the spice quantities and so the colour of the cake was wonderful as was the smell while it baked. Made for ZWT 9
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cognac
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄2 cup light raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and lemon zest together.
- Add oil and blend.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, one at a time, until well blended.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon if desired. Cut into squares and serve.