Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
A Diamond California Walnuts recipe, from McCall's Magazine, September 1982. NOTE: 2/3 cup milk can be substituted for the 8 ounce container of plain yogurt -- when using milk, omit baking soda. NOTE: If baking in glass loaf pan, reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
Walnut Brownie Loaf
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour (unsifted)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt (at room temperature)
- 1 cup walnuts (toasted and coarsely chopped)
Cocoa Fudge Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup walnuts (toasted and coarsely chopped, for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- BROWNIE LOAF DIRECTIONS:.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (glass) or 350 degrees (metal).
- Cream butter, sugars and vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture in thirds, alternating with yogurt.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Pour into greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees (glass) or at 350 degrees (metal) for 65-75 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched ~ top may be cracked.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack and cool completely. Frost with cocoa fudge frosting.
- COCOA FUDGE FROSTING DIRECTIONS:.
- Melt butter. Combine butter with cocoa, sugar, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth and creamy, adding additional powdered sugar if necessary for spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled brownie loaf and garnish top with coarsely chopped walnuts.