1/2 Photos of Walnut-Banana Upside-Down Cake
1 hr 20 mins
Serve this at your next dinner party; just don't expect any to be left! One tablespoon of rum, mixed in with the maple syrup, is a nice addition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, no substitutes
- 1/4 cup coarsely-chopped, toasted walnuts
- 4 large ripe bananas, , peeled and cut diagonally into quarter-inch thick slices
- 1Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- 2First, make topping: In a heavy, medium-sized saucepan, combine sugar and butter over low heat.
- 3Stir until butter melts and mixture is well combined; then pour into a 9-inch-diameter cake pan that has 2-inch-high sides; spread to coat bottom of pan.
- 4Pour maple syrup over sugar mixture, then evenly sprinkle on the nuts.
- 5Place banana slices in concentric circles on the nuts, overlapping slightly and covering the bottom of the pan.
- 6Now, make cake: In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- 7In another medium-sized bowl, beat sugar and butter together until creamy; add egg and vanilla, then beat until light and fluffy.
- 8Beat in flour mixture, alternating with milk, in 3 additions.
- 9Spoon this batter over the bananas; bake about 55 minutes, or until a tester inserted into centre comes out clean.
- 10Transfer cake, in pan, to a rack, and run a knife around the sides; let cool on rack for 30 minutes.
- 11Place plate over pan; invert cake-- let stand for 3 minutes, then gently lift off the pan.
- 12Serve warm, preferably with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut-Banana Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.5
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 66.4 mg
- Sodium 192.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 58.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g