Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Sift flour and salt together; add to creamed mixture.
- Mix well; stir in walnuts.
- Shape dough into walnut-sized balls.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet with spatula.
- When still warm but cool enough to handle, roll in powdered sugar.
Yum yum yum! These are tasty little morsels! I had a whole bunch of chopped walnuts to use so I picked this recipe and I'm so glad I did! The cookies stay in the ball shape after baking and have the most wonderful delicate and light shortbread texture! They are nutty and lightly sweet and delicious! You can easily pop them in your mouth one after the other so you may want to double the recipe! Watch your oven carefully - my first batch came out with the bottoms a little darker than I would have liked after 13 minutes. My suggestion would be to bake for 10 minutes and then check them. Also, roll the cookies a second time through some sifted powdered sugar after they have cooled for an even coating. Thanks so much! I doubt if any of these last long enough to make it to my Christmas table!
So easy and elegant. Made them for my Christmas tins and was quite proud. Thanks for the recipe. A definite keeper.
Sara Fish said everything I had planned on saying. I made them exactly as the recipe stated and had 48 balls.I ground up my walnuts in the food prosessor, and they came out in tiny, tiny pieces, just right. I also found the 1st pan came out a little dark on the bottom so I lowered the temp to 360 for the second batch and cooked for 15 min. I used margarine but I bet they would be even better with butter, if thats possible.