Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 lbs phyllo dough
- THE SYRUP 4 cups sugar 3 cups water 1 1/2 cups honey 1 cinnamon stick 6 whole cloves Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Mix together the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- Select a pan the size of the phyllo sheets and brush well with some melted butter.
- Place 4 sheets phyllo, brushing each with butter, in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- To p with a sheet of unbuttered phyllo then sprinkle with a handful of the walnut mixture. Cover with a buttered sheet then an unbuttered sheet and another sprinkling of walnuts.
- Repeat this layering until all ingredients are used up, reserving 5 sheets phyllo for the top.
- Place last 5 sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter, on top of pastry and pour remaining butter over all.
- Cut the baklava into traditional diamond pattern , being careful not to cut through bottom layers.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- SYRUP Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, cinnamon stick and cloves and continue boiling 5 minutes longer.
- Pour hot syrup over completely cooled baklava.
- Cool completely, cut through bottom layers following previous cuts and serve. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : Be sure baklava is completely cooled before adding hot syrup or it will be soggy.