1 hr 15 mins
Walnuts, Feta, and lemon make for a great stuffed zucchini!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Cinnamon Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 -4 tablespoons dry sherry
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4-1 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup currants or 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 dash olive oil
- grated feta cheese
- fresh oregano (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375*F.
- 2Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- 3Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- 4With a paring knife, score the flesh about 1/2 inch deep.
- 5Place the cut sides down on the baking sheet.
- 6Sprinkle with the sherry and cover with foil.
- 7Bake for about 20 m;inutes, until yielding but still firm.
- 8While the zucchini bakes, make the sauce.
- 9Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions and garlic, and saute for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- 10Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, cinnamon, and sherry.
- 11Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 12Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Cover and set aside.
- 14While the sauce simmers, prepare the filling.
- 15Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- 16In a bowl, combine the sauteed onions with the walnuts, feta, currants, and lemon juice.
- 17Stir in the rice.
- 18When the zucchini is tender, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving a thin 1/4 inch shell.
- 19Chop the flesh and add it to the filling.
- 20Mound the filling in the shells and sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and olive oil.
- 21Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, until hot.
- 22To serve, ladle some of the tomato sauce onto each plate.
- 23Place a stuffed zucchini on the sauce and top with grated feta.
- 24Garnish, if you wish, with oregano leaves.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut and Feta Stuffed Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.7
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 16.7 mg
- Sodium 747.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 20.0 g
- Protein 14.2 g