Recipe by Ducky
This recipe is from the Jewish Holiday Feasts cookbook and is a recipe for Purim. All times are guesstimates and do not include cool or chill time.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Since I'd never made this kind of pastry, I followed the recipe strictly & was very nicely rewarded ~ Oh, my goodness, what wonderful tasting little buggers these are! Fortunately they were served to a group I had over, or I'd have eaten most of them myself! Can't thank you enough for sharing such a great recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter or 1⁄2 lb margarine, cut into small pieces,at room temperature (2 sticks or 16 Tbsp)
- 1⁄2 lb whole milk cottage cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup cherry jam, whisked until smooth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dough ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth dough forms.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces, forming each piece into a 5-inch disk.
- Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat overn to 375°F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out piece of dough into an 8-inch circle, 1/8-inch thick.
- Spread 2 Tbsp of jam onto each circle.
- Sprinkle each circle with 1/4 of walnuts and 1/4 of cherries.
- Cut each circle into 8 wedges using a sharp knife or pastry wheel.
- Starting with the outside edge, roll each wedge, enclosing the filling.
- Place point side down onto greased cookie sheet.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle onto each pastry.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 35 minutes.
- Let pastries rest approximately 10 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.