Recipe by MarieRynr
I found this recipe in an old issue of Gourmet. It was in a Diamond Walnut advertisement. I haven't made it yet, but wanted to save it here.
- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup ground walnuts (2.25 oz)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 4 1⁄2 ounces chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 -3 ounces blue cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pulse the dry ingredients and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles dry bread crumbs. Add milk and pulse just until the dough comes together. Remove and shape into a ball, then press the ball into a 9 inch tart tin. Prick all over with a fork. Freeze for half an hour. Bake at 180*C/375*F for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- For the filling, heat oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add the onion. Season with salt and saute for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring, until soft and caramelized. Add the cranberries and sugar. Cook until the cranberries pop. Stir in the walnuts and thyme. Set aside.
- Lower the oven temperature to 160*C/350*F.
- Combine the eggs and cream in a bowl, whisking until smooth. Spoon the cranberry mixture into the tart shell, then crumble the blue cheese over top. Pour the egg mixture over top of it all. Bake until the tart is golden and the custard is set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving.