Recipe by Mean Mary
My dad used to manage a liquor store in WA state. One of his co-workers used to bring this to potlucks. Although it does call for bacon, you could always substitute a TVP in its place
- 16 ounces lima beans
- 16 ounces red kidney beans
- 28 ounces B&M baked beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup catsup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb raw bacon, cut into small pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour half the liquids from the kidney and lima beans away. Combine with the other ingredients and place in a 3 qt baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 2 and a half hours. This can also be done in a crock pot. Start on high and cook for 1 and a half hours. When bubbling hot, reduce to low heat for another 3 or 4 hours. Remove lid from crock pot for last 1 1/2 hours so liquid reduces and thickens.
- I always double this when bringing this to a potluck and the dish always comes back empty.