1/1 Photo of Walleye Hungarian Style (Süllöszelet Magyarosan)
I found the recipe for Süllöszelet magyarosan in a cookbook written by Mari Erdei. I have made several changes to the original recipe, e.g. I do not use as much butter as called for in the recipe or omit the flour to thicken the sauce. The sweet flavours of this fish is fantastic. The sauce here with tomatoes and bell peppers isn't overpowering the fish. Serve with a bread to dip up all of the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven (390 F, 200 C).
- 2Dice bell pepper, tomato and onion.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pot over medium hight heat. Add onions and cook until translucent (about 1-2 minutes).
- 4Add bell pepper and tomatoes and let cook for about 3-5 minutes. Salt slightly. Stir from time to time.
- 5Add paprika and stir. Add fish broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile butter an oven proof dish with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter. Put fish fillets skin side down into the dish. Salt the fillets slightly.
- 7Add as much white wine to cover bottom of form. You may need a little more than 1/3 cup white wine or a little less (drink the rest). Cover form with aluminium foil and put into oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- 8After 10 minutes remove aluminium foil and turn fillets. If you like you can sprinkle some paprika on top of the fillets. Let bake uncovered for another 10 minutes or until fish is done.
- 9Meanwhile: after 15 minutes of cooking remove sauce from heat and puree the sauce in a food processor or with a blendor until smooth.
- 10Return to low heat and add sour cream. Mix. Keep warm until fish is done.
- 11Take fish out of the oven and serve with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Freshwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Freshwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walleye Hungarian Style (Süllöszelet Magyarosan)
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.1
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 26.1 mg
- Sodium 162.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
walleyed pike fillet