Recipe by Outta Here
A nice side dish for roast beef or ham. Use Walla Walla Sweets or Vidalia's for this. Regular yellow onions aren't sweet enough.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This was a great side to have with our roasted pork tenderloin. I cut the recipe back to serve 2 and used Ritz crackers instead of Saltines since that is what I had. I think next time I will try a combo of swiss and maybe mozz or cheddar (DH thought it was too much swiss, though I loved it!). Made for 2011 Football Pool Win.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 medium walla walla onions (or Vidalia's)
- 2 cups swiss cheese, grated and divided
- 1 cup saltine, crushed and divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut the onions in half and then quarter the halves. Slice the quarters in food processor fitted with slicing disc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet and saute onions over medium heat until tender.
- Place half the onion mixture into a 1 1/2-quart oven-proof casserole.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of Swiss cheese and 1/2 cup cracker crumbs over onions. Repeat layers of onions and cheese.
- Beat eggs with the half-and-half, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over layered contents of casserole.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet and stir in remaining cracker crumbs. Lightly brown over medium heat. Sprinkle browned crumbs over casserole.
- Bake for 25 minutes.