Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here in Washington state we are lucky to get Walla-Walla onions for a short time and this make a nice busy day casserole. I'm sure you could use any sweet onion and get the same taste. We serve it with boiled Kielbasa and a simple salad.
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- Boil onion chunks for 15 - 20 minutes; drain and rinse well.
- Melt butter in saucepan on med.
- Stir in flour, broth and milk, stirring until thickened.
- Add onions, salt and pepper.
- Place onion mixture in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish,.
- top with cheese and cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Serves 6.
I used nice sweet Vidalia onions for this and it was awesome! I used closer to 4 cups of onions just because I wanted to use up the rest of that onion. For the cheese, I mixed swiss and cheddar. Loved it! I'll make this again. Thanx!