Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
CDT Wens Aug 30, 2000 The winner over 20 other entries at the Grange Fair 2000 No promises being so close to PSU and that grilled sticky concoction it might have addled their brains.
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 7 -7 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups margarine, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Dissolve the yeast with 1 tsp of sugar in the water and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the yeast mix to the other ingredients and beat with electric mixer while adding the sifted flour. Mix dough by hand when too stiff for mixer and knead for 7 to 10 minutes [should be satiny]. Make a ball.
- Put the ball in an oiled bowl and turn so all the sides are oiled. Cover loosely with a plastic wrap and a dish towel.
- Heat oven to 200F and then turn off. Put the covered bowl into oven and let rise for about one hour or until doubled. Punch down the dough, turning it again in bowl, and return to oven and let rise again.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out about 1/2 inch thick. Brush on melted margarine and sprinkle on mix.
- Roll up like jelly roll and cut into 1 inch thick slices.
- Syrup: Stir margarine, sugar and water and bring to boil in saucepan. Pour equal amounts into two 9 by 13 inch metal baking pans.
- Lay the slices of dough flat in the pans and let rise again for half an hour.
- Pour 1/2 cup warm water over each pan and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Let the rolls cool for 2 minutes and then put a sheet of foil over the top and a cake rack over the top of each pan and invert the pan to remove.