Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
D Walker has been entering her creations in the Grange Fair Contest for about 40 years. Her secret? At age 71 she has learned "I take patience with it and I only buy the best ingredients." PA Grange Fair 2000 CDT Wens Aug 30th, 2000
- The apples should be Ida Red or Northern Spy.
- Mix flour, salt and shortening until if forms a soft dough then add the vinegar and milk. Mix well. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The Pie:.
- Roll out half the dough on a floured surface and lay in plate.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and flour. Sprinkle a tablespoon of this mix over the bottom of the crust. Add the remainder of the cinnamon sugar mix to the fruit and stir together. Pour into pie shell.
- Roll out the top crust and make small slits in it with the handle of a fork to let out steam while baking.
- Brush water onto the rim of the bottom crust and lay the top crust over the filled pie shell, pinching the edges of the top and bottom crusts together.
- Optional: Sprinkle sugar over top.
- Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and bake 45 minutes more.
- One 10 inch pie.
There is a reason why it calls for Ida Red or Northern Spy. DO NOT USE OTHER APPLES and expect the blue ribbon pie Walker served up. I hate, absolutely HATE apples but I love Northern Spy. The taste is very different than the run of the mill ones.