1/2 Photos of Walk-Away Roast Chicken With Lemon & Herbs
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
By Gordon Hamersley, from from Fine Cooking #32.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, rinsed under cold water and dried
- 1 onion, cut into thick slices
- 8 medium red potatoes, washed (but not peeled)
- 1Heat the oven to 375°F In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, the mustard, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Squeeze the juice from one lemon half into the herb mixture; squeeze the juice from the other half into a small bowl and reserve. Reserve the squeezed lemon halves. Spoon the herb mixture over the chicken and inside its cavity, rubbing to coat the bird thoroughly. Put the reserved lemon halves inside the chicken's cavity.
- 2Put the onion and potatoes in a roasting pan. Season them with salt and pepper and toss them with the remaining 1 1/2 Tblsps. olive oil. Scatter the ingredients around the pan to make room in the center for the chicken.
- 3Put the chicken in the pan, breast side up. Cook until the meat is tender and the juices run clear at the thigh, about 1–1/4 hours. By this time, the potatoes and onions should be tender.
- 4Transfer the vegetables to a serving platter. Pour the juices from inside the chicken's cavity into the roasting pan and transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it rest.
- 5Spoon off and discard as much fat as possible from the juices in the roasting pan. Set the pan with the juices over medium-low heat and pour in the reserved lemon juice along with 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 6Cut the chicken into pieces (or serve it whole, if you like). Pour the pan juices over the chicken and serve.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walk-Away Roast Chicken With Lemon & Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (783 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 943.6
- Calories from Fat 448
- Total Fat 49.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 252.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 52.5 g