Tart dried cherries, red grapes, and candied pecans bring traditional waldorf salad to a new level! Makes a lovely addition to the Thanksgiving or Christmas table!! My sister's recipe, originally from Bon Appetit magazine.
- 2⁄3 cup dried tart cherry
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 granny smith apples, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄3 cups very thinly sliced celery
- 1 1⁄3 cups red seedless grapes, halved
- salt and pepper
- romaine lettuce leaf
- sweet and spicy candied pecans
- Soak cherries in 1 cup boiling water until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients in large bowl. Add apples, celery, grapes and cherries; toss. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Arrange lettuce on platter. Spoon salad over. Top salad with candied pecans.
- Makes 6 servings.