Recipe by VNess
One of those dishes so many of us grew up on, with a slight twist- no mayo. Courtesy the Oregonian.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon toasted walnut oil
- 6 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups water
- 4 -5 small unpeeled apples (or 3 medium)
- 1 cup celeriac, peeled and julienned into 2-inch lengths (celery root)
- 1 cup toasted walnut halves
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and vinegar. Add the mustard and walnut oil and whisk well. Add the sour cream, mustard seeds and salt and whisk again.
- To make salad: In a large bowl combine lemon juice and the 2 cups water. Quarter, core and thinly slice apples, placing the slices in the lemon water as you work. Drain apples thoroughly and pat dry. In another large bowl combine apples, celeriac, walnuts and cranberries. Toss with the salad dressing and refrigerate or serve immediately.
- Note: To toast seeds, spread on baking sheet and bake in a 350-degree oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown.
- Note: Gala or Honeycrisp apples are good choices. For a little sour kick, trade out one for a Granny Smith apple.