Recipe by heather in Ont,
The lemon yogurt adds so much flavor and is the key to this dressing. The salad is simply delicious and easy to make. You can make this ahead, cover and chill for up to 6 hours, but do not stir in the walnuts until you are ready to serve it. You may substitute pears for apples for something different. I think it tastes best with fresh pineapple and apples. My GF gave me this recipe that she found in Dieter’s Cookbook by Better Homes and Garden. To save time I purchase the fresh pineapple already peeled from the grocery store.
Top Review by Coasty
I followed the recipe except for the red grapes which I not keen on. Overall I found the salad a bit too sweet for me. I think I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to Waldorf Salad. I made this for Healthy Choices.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks (or one 15 1/4 oz can pineapple chunks drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, chopped (2 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 kiwi fruits (peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced)
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free mayonnaise, dressing or 1⁄3 cup salad dressing
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free lemon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl toss together pineapple, apples or pears, celery, grapes, and kiwifruits.
- In a small bowl stir together the mayonnaise dressing, yogurt and honey.
- Fold dressing into fruit mixture.
- To toast walnuts, place them in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 -7 minutes or until golden.
- Add walnuts when you are ready to serve.