Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Good Housekeeping's web site. I like the addition of pomegranate seeds and the watercress garnish for added texture & color. An old fashioned side, updated for your holiday table.
- 1 medium lemon
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large mcintosh apples
- 2 large pears
- 1⁄2 lb seedless grapes
- 2 cups finely sliced celery hearts, with leaves (I like less)
- 1 bunch watercress
- 2⁄3 cup Stilton cheese or 2⁄3 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
- 2⁄3 cup filberts, coarsely chopped or 2⁄3 cup walnuts or 2⁄3 cup black walnut, coarsely chopped
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- Spoon 1/2 cup mayonnaise into a large bowl; stir in juice of one lemon and add all spices. I also add a generous teaspoon of lemon zest.
- Cut unpeeled apples and pears into 1" chunks; cut each grape in half.
- Stir apples, pears, grapes and celery into dressing mixture, cover and refrigerate at least one hour. Taste salad and stir in a bit more mayonnaise if needed until fruit is well dressed.
- To serve, line a pretty platter with watercress. Stir cheese and nuts into fruit mixture, spoon salad over watercress and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
- Garnish with celery leaves or a sprig of watercress.