Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My husband loves this salad!
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, halves
- 3 large apples, with a crisp texture preferably 1 red, 1 green and 1 yellow
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool and break the nuts up into small pieces.
- Half, core, and cut the apples into 3/4-inch pieces, leaving the skin intact.
- In a medium bowl, mix the apples with the lemon juice, celery and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, chives, sour cream, parsley, sugar, and lemon zest and season with pepper.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the apple mixture and stir to coat. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
- Serve and enjoy!
This was super good. The lemon zest gives it a wonderful, lemony flavor. I used the zest of a whole lemon and it was made a day ahead so I think that made the lemon just "sing" in the salad! Definitely a keeper!!
We do love these kinds of salads, & usually I try to follow the recipes right on down! However, when I got to the end of your ingredient list, & just had to satisfy the urge to include half a cup of dark raisins, so . . .. Thanks for sharing the original of the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]