Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the original Waldorf Salad recipe which I clipped out of the newspaper several years ago. My mother made this salad often--it must have been a favorite of hers also. Newer versions have left out some of the ingredients which add variety in texture and taste. It's a classic American salad which was developed by the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City.
- 2 cups diced unpared apples
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced red grapes
- 1 banana, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- Combine first six ingredients; sprinkle lemon juice on top.
- Combine gently--best to use your hands to mix.
- Mix mayonnaise with sugar and cream and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Dress the salad with this.
- Chill before serving.
- Can be prepared several hours ahead of time if necessary.
Waldorf Salad Deluxe! This was amazing. I added some dried, sweetened cranberries, but followed the recipe otherwise. Thank you Mary for posting this delightful and scrumptious recipe!
My favorite recipe for waldorf salad! The banana melds with the dressing to complement tart apples perfectly. All the ingredients are usually found in my kitchen, so I make it often as a no-cook side dish for barbecued meats, in place of potato salad. As JOY1998 suggested, dried cranberries are a tasty addition.
This was a very good and refreshing salad. Next time, I will only make 1/2 the dressing - it was too much for me. Thanks for posting!