Recipe by Mary Leverington
This is the original Waldorf Salad recipe which I clipped out of the newspaper several years ago. My mother made this salad often--it must have been a favorite of hers also. Newer versions have left out some of the ingredients which add variety in texture and taste. It's a classic American salad which was developed by the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City.
Top Review by JOY1998
Waldorf Salad Deluxe! This was amazing. I added some dried, sweetened cranberries, but followed the recipe otherwise. Thank you Mary for posting this delightful and scrumptious recipe!
- 2 cups diced unpared apples
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced red grapes
- 1 banana, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first six ingredients; sprinkle lemon juice on top.
- Combine gently--best to use your hands to mix.
- Mix mayonnaise with sugar and cream and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Dress the salad with this.
- Chill before serving.
- Can be prepared several hours ahead of time if necessary.