Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
A crunchy, sweet and hearty salad of apples, celery, nuts and mayonnaise. This salad can easily become a summer luncheon main dish by adding cooked, diced chicken. You will probably need to add a little more mayonnaise. Another nice variation is halved grapes in addition to the apples, or pears as a replacement for the apples.
- 4 medium red apples (or half of each for nice color) or 4 medium green apples, washed and diced (or half of each for nice color)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- Wash, core and dice unpeeled apples.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over them and toss together gently to coat, then sprinkle brown sugar over the apples and toss again.
- Chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Add celery and nuts then stir in mayonnaise, adding only enough for desired consistency.
- Serve on a bed of greens.
Made this based on the ingredients I had on hand. It was a little too sweet for us and would have liked a little more celery in proportion to the apples.
Wonderful salad. I left out the brown sugar, as I didn't see a need to add it!
The memories this brings back. As one of my mom's favorites, I had it at least once a month growing up. I made it with walnuts and just as written and it's perfect. Crunchy, sweet and delicious. Don't change it and don't leave anything out and it's wonderful.