Recipe by katie in the UP
This is from the 30 Minute Gal..RAchael Ray! I saw her prepare this on TV and knew it would become a favorite of mine!
Top Review by CASunshine
I, too, saw RR prepare this on TV. I made it just the other day and it is good! Different from most other mayo-type Waldorf Salads I've had but a nice change. A wonderful mixture of flavors and textures. The dressing would probably be good on a lettuce salad or maybe even as a coleslaw dressing, too. Delicious!
- 1 cup whole walnut halves
- 1 celery heart, & leaves wiped clean and chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, split
- 2 gala apples, seeded and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 head bibb lettuce or 1 head butter lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast nuts in a small skillet over moderate heat in a small pan until aroma develops and nuts crisp a bit, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Combine walnuts, celery, onion, grapes and apples in a medium bowl.
- Whisk lemon juice, honey, vinegar, cardamom, dill and mustead, then whisk in extra-virgin olive oil in a slow stream.
- When oil becomes incorporated stream in cream, then season the dressing with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Dress salad and adjust salt and pepper, to taste. Use 2 large lettuce leaves per serving to form a bed for the salad.