Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the Favorite Brand Name Recipes cookbook 'WHOLE-GRAIN COOKING' & is one of my favorites, since it includes brown rice & raisins!
Top Review by Prose
I easily veganized this by using Vegenaise instead of mayonnaise and Silk brand soy yogurt instead of dairy yogurt. I made it for a vegan picnic potluck, and it was a huge hit! It was delicious but also deceptively easy to throw together. I used the cranberry option and also threw in 1/2 cup of chopped carrots. Next time I will increase the celery because I wanted to taste more of it, but that's just personal preference. I will definitely make this again. It was a hearty and satisfying take on a classic. Made as a recipenap for Veg*an Swap, June 2010.
- 2 medium apples (Golden Delicious or Cortland)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked whole grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- salad greens (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, core & dice apples.
- Place apples in large bowl & toss with lemon juice.
- Add cooked brown rice, celery, nuts & raisins, & toss to combine.
- In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise & yogurt, blending well.
- Fold into rice mixture.
- If desired, serve over salad greens.