Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
As a child, my mother told me that this was considered to be JFK's favorite cake recipe. I know it became my choice for birthday cake every year. Today I substitute Splenda blend for the sugar and double sift the dry ingredients to make it fluffy. You cannot further reduce calories by using any of the light mayonnaises. if you do not have or like miracle whip, you can substitute regular mayonnaise with no change in quality.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- sift dry ingredients together into a large mixing bowl.
- Add moist ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Pour into a well-greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- if you double, bake in well-greased bundt pan for 90 minutes. Allow to cool in pan before turning out or top will separate from the cake.
- Dust with powdered sugar bfore serving.
This is a moist and rich cake that we all loved! I will be making it again as my son requested it for his birthday in a few months. I made a vanilla frosting to go on top and it was perfect! Thank you! Wendy