Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
Everyone knows that hot water and a piece of lemon is good for you. This drink started out because I not only needed a hot drink in the morning, I needed a hot drink that would wake me up. For me, this drink packs more of a punch than any cup of coffee, and it's caffeine-free!
- 1 slice lemon (wash the lemon before you cut it up)
- 2 1⁄8 inches sliced fresh ginger
- 1⁄16 teaspoon hot cayenne pepper (I just shake a bit into the cup)
- 1 cup hot water
- Place the slices of lemon, ginger and the cayenne pepper into a coffee mug.
- Add the hot water.
- Let steep for 2 minutes.
- Wake up!
- Note: you can add sugar or sweetener if you want, honey would go very nicely with this.
This drink is actually very good for you. The lemon and ginger are wonderful for stomach and digestive problems...and yes, it is better for you than coffee or tea! It is more tolerable with a bit of honey!
I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I liked this. I love ginger and lemon and decided I needed to give this a try. I was pretty nervous about the cayenne pepper but it added just enough extra bite to the ginger to WAKE ME UP!!I didn't give up my morning coffee, but added this to my morning ritual. I followed the directions exactly (no honey added and it's tart, but that's what I like) Made for Comfort Foods in photos.
I admit, I did not think I would like this as much as I do! I used a frozen cube of lemon juice and some ginger paste. I am going to make this when I need a caffeine-free afternoon pick-me-up.