Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is another satsifying meal when you are craving hearty food but need to count calories. The trick is the high-carbohydrate pasta, which fills you up. Some steamed broccoli on the side and you have a complete, guilt-free meal.
- 2 cups medium pasta shells
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ounces ground chicken
- 1 cup baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper, strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper, strips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Prehet oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 3 minutes until cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- To skillet, add mushrooms, peppers, onion, and garlic and stir-fry over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Return chicken to skillet. Add tomato sauce, 1 T. parsley, basil, pepper, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce ehat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Spread about 1 T. sauce in 1-1/2-quart baking dish.
- Drain pasta and add half to dish. Sprinkle with 1 T. Parmesan cheese. Top with half of remaining sauce. Repeat layers; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1 T. parsley and serve.
This was a really easy dish to throw together, and completely took care of my pasta craving.
A delicious, and 'lite' dinner dish, that didn't have me busting out of my jeans afterwards....loved it!
Made for PRMR.