Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great over rice or as appetizers kept warm in a crock pot. Most kids like these too, because of the sweet-sour sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve syrup)
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- Mix thoroughly beef, crumbs, onion, egg, salt, ginger and milk.
- Shape mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls into balls.
- Melt shortening in large skillet; brown and cook meatballs.
- Remove meatballs; keep warm.
- Pour fat from skillet.
- Mix cornstarch and sugar.
- Stir in reserved pineapple syrup, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth.
- Pour into skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Add meatballs, pineapple tidbits and green pepper; heat through.
My husband and I really liked this dish. I substituted bison for beef, added garlic to the meatballs, used a combination of crushed pretzels and bread crumbs in place of the crackers, added vidalia onions and red and yellow peppers to the stir fry, and added more pineapple juice and soy sauce to the sauce. Thank you very much for sharing:)
Major hit! I just served these at a family taste gathering in preperation of a luau. Everyone loved the recipe. The flavors mixed together well and created a wonderful texture. This was a very easy recipe to create. Thanks for a wonderful recipe keen, it will definately be on the upcoming luau menu.
This was fantastic and such a nice change of pace for a weeknight meal. For the cracker crumb mixture I used half whole wheat ritz and half wheat germ. I didn't have an onion so I had to use minced dried onion and it worked fine. I lightly greased a large cookie sheet and baked them at 350 10 min on one side, flipped them and another 10. I finely chopped the green bell pepper and sauteed it BEFORE I added the ingredients to make the sauce-I have small children so I wanted them to be soft. Served the sauce and meatballs over white rice-YUMMY!!!