Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I like the sweet and sour taste. This recipe was given to me YEARS ago when I was first married.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 2⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can pineapple (diced,cubed,whatever)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- rice, for guests (I use the 5 minute type)
- Mix together hamburger, cracker crumbs, eggs, milk, salt. (I usually add ketchup, Regular BBQ sauce for added flavour, use what ever you like.)
- Shape mixture into meatballs and cook in the oven, in a single layer on a cookie sheet with sides, at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes, depending on the size of your meatballs.
- While the meatballs are cooking, mix together corn starch and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Drain the syrup from the pineapple and add to corn starch and brown sugar, stirring really well.
- Add vinegar and soy sauce.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- While waiting for the meatballs to finish cooking, cook the rice.
- As soon as the meatballs are cooked, drain them and add them to sauce on stove.
- Add pineapple.
- Place rice on plate and cover with the meatballs and sauce.
- Serve immediately.
I make this all the time. The kids love it and its something different to make with ground beef.
Delicious! Made double batch to bring to church pot luck! Not one meatball left. After making the sweet and sour sauce, I mixed everything into a crockpot and it simmered for about an hour or more before we ate. Will make this one again. Thanks for the recipe.
IF you are looking for Sweet and Sour meatballs look no more!!! I only made the sauce and poured it over frozen chicken pineapple meatballs and popped them in the oven OMG were the GOOD!! I am sure you could use any premade meatball for a shortcut. thanks Lee-Ann