Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 59.14 ml shortening
- 236.59 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 7.39 ml lemon extract
- 236.59 ml mashed ripe banana (About 2 medium bananas)
- 354.88 ml sifted all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml salt
- 118.29 ml of chopped nuts (whatever you like)
- 78.07 ml powdered sugar
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream shortening and brown sugar.
- Add extracts and banana, beating well.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder; add to wet mixture.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into well-greased 11 X 7-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- While still warm, cut into bars and remove from pan.
- Mix: 1/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Gently roll bars in mixture while slightly warm.
- Store in airtight container.
These are fantastic! I substituted raisins for the nuts. I'm going to try almonds and coconut next time, or maybe chocolate chips. These bars are not too sweet and the kids have eaten almost half the batch I just made. Thanks for posting it!!
My husband loves these, but with shortening, white flour, and a whole cup of sugar they are NOT healthy! So I used canola oil, whole wheat flour, and 1/2 the sugar and they came out great! Didn't miss the extra sugar at all! Of course, if you're going more for taste than nutrition, these are especially good with streusel on top... :)
This reminded me of a banana cake my mum makes just that this doesn't have any eggs in it. I forgot to put the walnuts in and i only noticed once it was in the oven so I sprinkled them over the top. It was a bit thin so next time I think I'll use a slightly smaller baking-pan.