Saw a recipe similar to this at the egg beaters web site. This is my version. Very tasty and a good start to the day. I use whole grain waffels and light maple syrup.
- Line a paper plate with two layers of paper towels. Place bacon on paper towels, and place another paper towel on top. Cook bacon in microwave on high for 2 minutes Flip bacon over and cook another 1 to 2 mins or till desired donenes.
- When you flip bacon, put waffles in toaster and toast according to directions. While the waffels are toasting. Cook egg substitute in a little bit of cooking spray. When egg is almost done sprinkle in cheese.
- Lastly mix maple syrup and margarine together in a small bowl.
- If cooked as specified above, everything should be ready about the same time.
- To assemble, spread 1/2 of margarine mixture on two of the waffles. Put 1/2 of egg mixture on each "buttered" waffle. Top wih 2 slices of bacon (torn in half) and one "unbuttered" waffle. Slice in half and enjoy.
So cool! My kids really loved these little sandwiches. They already like toaster waffles, so it was easy to get them to eat these. Only 2 of them liked the syrup, but I don't like it either so that is just a preference. I have to admit that I did not make these healthy at all. I used real eggs and bacon, and regular cheese, and butter. It was a good way to make the bacon go around in this large family. Made and Reviewed for Every Day Holiday Tag - Thanks! :)
I made these for my boys for breakfast. Very good and easy to make. I followed the recipe except I used regular eggs instead of egg substitute and regular bacon instead of turkey bacon. My boys really enjoyed them. I am going to try these as part of my OAMC rotation and see how they freeze and reheat.
This was a great way to start the day! I often make egg sandwiches for breakfast, but I usually use english muffins. This was a nice change. It was quick to put together too so I can even do it for work mornings. Thanks so much for posting! Made for Football Pool 2008!