Recipe by wife2abadge
I've made these a few times now and my family LOVES them. I got the recipe from Cooking Light.
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare waffles, light spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife.
- Combine flaxseed meal, flours, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Combine milk, egg substitute, oil, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring JUST until moist.
- Coat a waffle iron wtih cooking spray; preheat.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter per 4-inch waffle onto hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges.
- Cook 5 minutes or until steaming stops; repeat procedure with remaining batter.
- To prepare syrup, combine ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- Serve warm over waffles.
- Freeze leftover waffles individually on a cookie sheet and then transfer to a zip-top plastic freezer bag for storage.
- Reheat leftover waffles in the toaster.