Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
These will impress your whole family. Why wait for breakfast?
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml whole milk
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- nonstick cooking spray (optional)
- 453.59 g fresh strawberries, hulled and diced (about 3 cups) or 453.59 g thawed frozen unsweetened strawberries (about 3 cups)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml fresh orange juice
- 2.46 ml finely grated orange zest
- Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Into a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow. Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the egg-milk mixture and whisk just until blended. Do not overmix.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter, being careful not to overmix.
- Coat the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray, if required, and pour enough batter in the iron to just cover the waffle grid. Close and cook as per the manufacturer’s instructions until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. (Do not open the waffle iron for at least 1 minute.) Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with Strawberry Syrup spooned over the top of each waffle.
- Fresh Strawberry Syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the strawberries are soft and the syrup is thickened and reduced by one-third to one-half in volume, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature before serving. (If thinner syrup is desired, strain the hot syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container and let cool.).
these are the best waffles by far!!! My DH craves them. They take a little extra time but WELL worth it! For the orange flavor in the strawberries I have been know to add, orange flavored drink or whatever orange flavored drink I have in the fridge.
I'm in waffle heaven! These are absolutely the best waffles I've ever made. Crisp and lovely on the outside, fluffy and light on the inside. And the syrup! Oh, the syrup! I could drizzle it on just about anything and be happy. It is very sweet, so you only need a wee bit...I subbed buttermilk for the whole milk and added a bit of orange zest to the batter as well as the syrup.