Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Derived from Butterick Publishing - A Division of American Can Co. Waffle size (6x5-1/2 inch or 15 cm x 13.75 cm)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- Preheat waffle baker.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks, buttermilk, and oil.
- Add dry ingredients and beat in until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold into batter.
- Pour 1/4 of batter onto hot waffle grids.
- Close waffle baker.
- When steam no longer comes from waffle baker, waffles should be golden brown and ready to serve.
- Repeat last 2 steps until batter is used up.
Perfect waffles. Came out nice and crisp the way I like waffles. The flavor was perfect. This will be my regular waffle recipe. 5 stars all the way! Thanks so much!! :-)
Awesome! Thanks for posting. These are just like the waffles I made in 7th grade home economics, the ones that made me fall in love with waffles, I have not been able to match those until now! I didn't have buttermilk so I used sour milk (1 Tbsp. of vinegar in the bottom of a measuring cup and enough half & half to make 1 cup for each cup of buttermilk) worked perfectly! I did add a bit more sugar and some vanilla, cinnamon, and a pinch of clove, nutmeg, & allspice. I also topped with a bannana, pecan, caramel sauce I made.
Delicious waffes! Worth the work