Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Basic waffle recipe
- 3 eggs (seperated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- Whip the egg whites until they form moist peaks.
- Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Beat in remaining ingredients with a rotary beater until smooth.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour batter from a cup or pitcher into the center of a hot waffle iron.
- Do not overfill the waffle iron, the batter will expand as it cooks.
- Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops.
- *Ifyou are in a hurry, you can eliminate this step and just use the whole egg in the batter.
Wonder recipe. Kids loved it. I had left over waffles and was able to toast them like you would an Eggo. Thanks for a good breakfast. Cheers!
Overall these were good waffles. We enjoyed them. However, I find that they are a little too "eggy" for my liking. Thanks for the recipe. I'll use it again.
Oh my gosh! I can't believe we ate the whole batch! These waffles were so light and delicious that my husband and I literally couldn't stop eating them and we polished off all 7 waffles. I ate only two, so guess who ate the rest? I whipped up the whites and followed the directions exactly, but added some chopped pecans to the batter before pouring into the waffle iron. Thanks Leta for this very reliable waffle recipe.