Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I have an All-Clad waffle maker, which I love because it has the four wells for French toast, and is on the deeper side, but most likely any waffle maker will do.
- 9 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 12 slices white bread
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- maple syrup
- Preheat waffle maker on medium-high heat.
- In large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Add the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar and whisk until blended.
- Dip 1 bread slice into the egg mixture and soak, turning once, 20 seconds per side.
- Spray the wells of the waffle maker with nonstick cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
- Place one bread slice in each well of the waffle maker and close the lid.
- Cook the bread until golden brown and crisp, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the French toast to a wire rack set on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat to cook the remaining bread.
- Dust French toast with confectioners' sugar and serve hot with maple syrup.
I really liked this recipe and it's novelty. The best of both worlds: waffles and French toast! I went over the top and made a stuffed waffled French toast using this recipe as inspiration. I toasted each bread lightly first. I made a mix of 3 oz cream cheese, 2 T. strawberry jam, 1/2 tsp. almond extract, 3 T. confectioners sugar. I spread some of this on half the slices of bread, topped with another slice of bread, then soaked the "sandwiches" in the egg mixture and followed the rest of your recipe. Thanks for inspiring me!